Q. How do I safely jump-start my battery?
A. WARNING: Modern vehicles with electronic management systems should not be jump started without "protected" jump starter leads and it is necessary to refer to the owner's handbook for jump starting procedures for such vehicles.
Vehicle Jump Starting procedure is as follows and should be followed carefully:
- Ensure battery for jump-starting and vehicle battery are of the same declared voltage (say 12V) Turn off all electrical loads, check vehicles so that they are not touching each other and are in neutral.
- Check that vehicles have the same terminal earthed, If not, refer to manufacturers' instructions.
- Check that cables are not frayed or damaged.
- Carry out the following steps in sequence:
- On negative grounded system, connect positive of jump-starting battery to the positive of the stalled car battery.
- Connect one end of other cable to negative (-) terminal of booster battery.
- Connect other cable away from battery, to engine block or car frame of the vehicle to be started.
- Make sure cables are away from fan blades and other moving vehicle parts.
- If vehicle does not start within 30 seconds, call an auto electrician.
- After starting, remove cables in reverse order, starting with one connected to engine block or car frame.